Remove apps on iOS Apps are probably essential for you if you use your iPhone or iPad. It’s the way you Twitter, play Candy Crush and another hundred thousand other things. But probably there are also all kinds of apps on your phone that you never actually use. That game you once downloaded, but after two levels already stopped or the umpteenth to-do app that is not exactly what you are looking for. All these apps all take up space on your phone, make your homescreen unclear and also need to be updated again. So it’s high time to clean up your phone again and remove all apps that you do not use! We have put four ways to remove your apps in a row.
Remove apps directly from the homescreen
The first way is probably the best known:
- Holding down an app icon the icons on your home-screen wobble
- Remove apps by clicking on the X in the top left corner of the icon.
- You will then be asked if you indeed want to delete this app, and if you click on Delete then the app will actually be deleted.
Remove apps using the settings
Another way to remove apps on your iOS device is via the settings menu.
- Go to Settings => General => Manage storage space and then click Storage under the heading storage.
- You will now see a list of all apps on your phone, along with the space they occupy. This is the space of the app itself plus all data associated with that app, such as photos or videos. By default, the list is sorted by the space the app occupies, so you can immediately see which app occupies the most space on your phone.
- This way you can quickly find out what your storage is being used for and if you want, you can immediately remove this app by clicking on the app name and then choose ‘Delete app’.
Remove apps via iTunes
If you delete apps on your iOS device, the apps remain in your iTunes library. Do you want to completely remove the apps, so that they no longer appear in your library? This can be done via iTunes.
- Go to your app library in iTunes and select the app you want to delete.
- You can right click now and select ‘Remove from library’, or press the Backspace button.
- The next time that iTunes syncs with your phone, the app will also be removed from your iPhone.
Remove apps via the update list
And finally a tip for everyone who has so many apps that they have long forgotten what every app does: keep an eye on the updates. By monitoring the list of updates in iTunes you will see a selection of the apps on your phone and you can immediately think which app you no longer use. If you see an app in the update list that you no longer use, you can delete the app directly via iTunes. And because each app is updated once, you will eventually see all your apps, even if you have hundreds of apps.