Before we delve into the main topic of today, it will be very important for us to first know what MTK stands for and what it truly mean for the good and betterment of those who it might sound alien or new to.
What does MKT stands for?
In relation to this topic, MKT stands for Media tek, and MediaTek is a very well-known chip manufacturing company based in Taiwan that mostly out sources their products, hence they are regarded as Fabless companies. They are specialized in the manufacturing of Central Processing Unit (CPU chips) for wireless telecommunications, DVD, HDTVs etc. Their largest demands come from Chinese mobile tech market. From that brief description of MTK, you can deduce by now that when we say MTK phones, we are talking of phones that make use of MTK chips. Since MTK are largest suppliers of chips to the Chinese mobile tech markets, it now tells us that most of the mobile devices produced in China are MTK devices.
Note: I used most and not all, because there is other notable companies apart from MTK that also serves the Chinese market and other mobile tech markets across the globe. For example we also have other one’s like SPD (Spreadtrum).
Now back to the main topic. we are focusing on how to detect MTK devices when you handle them. Since these chips are hardware components and with models embedded inside the devices, it will be extremely difficult to tell if they are MTK devices, SPD or any others by mere handling or looking of the device without disassembling. It is a common idea that most range of Chinese phones like Gionee, Infinix, Tecno etc. are MTK devices. But as we stated above, you can’t tell by mere seeing or handling them.
How do I know if my phone is MTK, qualcomm, Snapdragon or other processor type?
Knowing what type of processor out phone is running is very important so as to know what ROM Flashing software to use when the need arise, some requires it for ulterior purposes, one of which allows us to easily tweak/rewrite/change MTK Android IMEI easily using MTK Engineering Mode apps. You can always find more reason to know what processor your Android device runs!
Today, I’ll share with you a very useful app that should help you get all the information about your Android phone, which also include knowing what processor type your device was packed with. In-fact what am teaching you now will even go a very long way helping you in differentiating original Android devices from fake ones. In other words, it helps in differentiating cloned phones from other manufacturers mimicking original manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, LG etc. with this method.
Now for you to fully understand and really want determine whether your android devices are MTK devices or not, follow the steps below;
- Just head to Google Play Store on your android device.
- Click the search box to search and download this simple free app called CPU-Z or download Here
- Launch the downloaded app after installation and you will see all hardware components and models of your phones.
- lnside the open app, you will see about 5 menu buttons at the top; SOC (System on Chips), Battery, System, Sensors and About menus.
- On the SOC menu, you will see the chip and model of your devic
- boldly written at the top portion of your screen. Or on the other way round you can simply navigate to the system menu to see the hardware component. The models for MKT devices always start with MT prefix, while that of spreedtrum often start with SPD or SC.